History of La Tomatina Festival:
ll started the last Wednesday of August in 1945 when some young people spent the time in the town square to attend the Giants and Big-Heads figures parade. The young boys decided to have a place among the retinue of a parade with musician, Giants and Big-Heads figures.
The energy of these young people made that one participant fell off. The participant flew into a fit of rage, started to hit everything in his path. There was a market stall of vegetable that fell victim of the furious crowd: people started to pelt each other with tomatoes until the local forces ended that vegetable battle.
The following year, the young people picked a quarrel by their own decision and brought the tomatoes from home. Although the police broke up the early tradition in the following years, the young boys had made history without being conscious about it. La Tomatina was banned in the early 50s, which was not a problem for the participants who were even arrested. But the people spoke and the festivity was again allowed with more participants and more frenetic feelings.
The festivity was again cancelled till 1957 when, as a sign of protest, the tomato burial was held. It was a demonstration in which the residents carried a coffin with a huge tomato inside. The parade was accompanied by a music band which played funeral marches and it was totally successful. La Tomatina Festival was finally allowed and became an official festivity.
As a result of the report of Javier Basilio, broadcasted in the Spanish Television Program called Informe Semanal, the festivity started to be known in the rest of Spain.
Since then, the number of participants increased year after year as well as the excitement about La Tomatina Festival. In 2002, La Tomatina of Buñol was declared Festivity of International Tourist Interest by the Secretary Deparment of Tourism due to its success.
Rules of La Tomatina Festival 2017:
- If you want to keep having a funny Tomatina Festival, you must respect these rules:
- It is held on the last Wednesday of August, during the week of festivities of Buñol.
- La Tomatina begins at 11.00am with a bang and ends at 12.00am on point with another.
- Do not enter bottles or hard objects because you can cause an accident or damages to your battle’s fellows.
- Do not tear or throw your T-shirts nor others T-shirts.
- Squash the tomatoes before throwing them, the hit will be less painful.
- Keep a safe distance of the lorries.
- Stop to throw tomatoes when you hear the shot of the second warning firework.
- Follow the security staff directions.
Wear old clothes
Wear shoes with a decent grip
The goggles can be your best friend
use waterproof cameras
do not forget to look for accommodation in advance.
Follow the security directions and keep a safe distance of the lorries
Do not miss the palo-jabón